A proper basting

I am basting chairman for our guild. Not many folks go for the traditional thread basting anymore. I have to admit that lately I have spray-basted my smaller projects. It's just so much faster and easier, especially since I'm machine quilting.

But if you plan to quilt a bed-sized quilt by hand, thread basting is the best way to go in my opinion. It just keeps things more secure over the lengthy process.

This is Betty. She is making this quilt for her granddaughter.

A friend gave her the fabrics for the sweet little flowers that are scattered about on the top. Betty calls them violets since they are a tad smaller than most pansy patterns. And it's her quilt and she can call them anything she likes.

This is Brenda. She and Gerda came to help. Gerda is taking the pictures. Couldn't have done it without them. Every time we rolled the ends, we got a burst of energy. Still, it took the four of us four hours to complete the basting.

Next time, I believe I will ask for a minimum of six confirmed helpers.

Comments