It helps if you read the front first...

I love the ladies in my art quilt group, but I can't say that I enjoy the deadlines for group projects. I am always late with them and feel guilty about it every time. We started a recipe block challenge last fall and they were due in December. Enough said about that.

Today was a beautiful day here, so after taking the dog to get her annual vaccines, I decided I would get this recipe thing out to finish. I have lots of parts already in the works, so it was time to baste the little 12 x 15 quilt to begin the quilting. Spray basting seemed the best way to go.

I laid out some newspapers on the front porch ledge, read the back of the can, and shook well before spraying. I started with the backing. Next went down the batting and another good spraying. But something was not quite right. They were damp. This was not what I was expecting. I pick up the can and discover I have grabbed the Magic Sizing instead of the basting spray. That explains why it said "Quickly iron sprayed area with a smooth and continuous motion." I was puzzled as to why I didn't remember that step in the spray basting process. So, I have to get the iron out and dry them out before I can start over.

So back we go to the porch. I grab the can and read the back and with new newspaper (since the other was soaking wet with sizing) I spray the back and then the batting. I placed the top slightly off-target and had to adjust it. Oddly enough, it wasn't sticky when I picked it up. "What is wrong with this spray?" I asked myself. Turning the can around, I find I have picked up the can of uv protection spray. I wondered why it said "allow to dry 3 hours."

Now all the while, Maisy is convalescing on the sofa having suffered an allergic reaction to one of the vaccines. Leave it to the 6-year-old neighbor to point out her swollen little face which has escaped my notice. Some Benadryl and a nap have made great improvements in her condition. And I found out via the web that this can be a reaction to some vaccines although she has never experienced this before.

So back to the porch a third time. But this time, I read the front of the can first to be sure I had the one labeled Quilt Basting Spray. I have the Bernina set up in front of the t.v. in the living room so I can quilt while watching Peter Perfect in a little bit. In the meantime, I have been working on getting my binding ready to stitch while I watch Saturday Night Live later. Hopefully I will have a finished project to show you before the week is out.

Comments

Sara said…
That is definately something I would do! I would just pick up a can assumming it was right. Hope it all worked out and you got your quilt basted and together! Also hope your pup is feeling better!
I love this recipe mini quilt. I may have to do something like that in the future. A good gift idea!
Poor Maisy. Give her a hug for me.