Beach!!!

Every year, friend Nell goes to St. George Island, Florida, between the end of spring semester and the beginning of peak tourist season. She has done this pretty much since her days of getting her doctorate at Florida State.

She is kind to invite me even though I can’t ever go because we still have things going on at work. I tell her to keep including me on the off chance something happens.

This year, however, was different. The trip didn’t start until May 15 and we finished up on May 12. So, I jumped at the chance to go thinking that I might not get the opportunity again any time soon.

Maisy has made this trip before without me. My auto bobo was May 12, 2006, and Nell was to leave the next day. With me in the hospital awaiting surgery on my ankle, she scooped up Maisy, got her hair shaved off, and whisked her down to Florida along with her dog Otis.

Maisy and Otis went this year. And friend Gwen, too.

Gwen and I hauled our sewing machines and all sorts of quilting projects down there thinking we would get a lot done. But something happens when you’re at the beach. There really is something to this “island time” thing. I took my watch off when I got there and didn’t put it back on till I left. I got a little bit of sewing done. Gwen was more prolific.

I spent my time napping, walking on the beach, taking pictures of shore birds, and eating. Spent a small amount of time in the pool.

Flew my kite.

Did some shopping. Took some more pictures of birds.

On the last night there, we got to see the space shuttle docked with the space station fly by overhead. Way cool.

Of course the oil spill was on everyone’s mind.

It makes me angry and sad and I can hardly think about it without wanting to cry.

One look out over the Gulf and you pray that nothing touches such a beautiful, pristine, and natural place.

We ate as much seafood as we could while we could.

Comments

Kim Brackett said…
I'm so glad you got the opportunity to come to the coast before it gets all yuck. It's very depressing to think of the consequences. Sounds like you had a relaxing and enjoyable visit.
Kathryn said…
Yay!

Oh, I'm so glad you got to "get away" Miss Lisa!! I know you don't get the chance to do that very often.

See you later for ballet camps. :)