Brunch at Veranda

After our visit to Vulcan, we make a quick stop by the thrift store where Robbie scored a black quilted Talbot's jacket with hood for $5. Yes, $5. Didn't have a scratch on it. Marta found a knit zip-up jacket and I came home with a tank top and a skirt.

We scurried home quickly to throw together dinner as I had invited neighbors down for fudge pie dessert and a visit. Of course, William arrived right on time bearing flowers and apologizing that Michael couldn't join us because he wasn't feeling well. We were still scarfing down dinner, so I fixed him a glass of iced tea and told him to make himself at home. Peggy was a few minutes later and she brought a cheesecake she had made that day. They stayed for over three hours, so I think you could say we had some fun.

Sunday rolled around pretty quickly and one of our last outings was for the jazz brunch at Veranda on Highland. The weather had been gorgeous for two days, so if we had a few sprinkles this morning at least we would be indoors enjoying some great food and a little music.

I'm not sure what the picture looked like on Robbie's end. Robbie had the Gulf fish, which I believe was grouper, served atop roasted fingerling potatoes and sugar snap peas, drizzled with herb lemon oil.

I had the Smoked Salmon Cakes with poached eggs, caviar Champagne butter sauce, red onion marmalade and shaved fennel salad.

Marta ordered the Bananas Foster Shortstack with apple smoked bacon, crumbled pralines and chantilly cream.

I don't think there is anything short about this stack. Robbie and I helped her with the ever-so-thin slices of bacon.

After lunch we made a quick run back to Miss Rosemarie's as Marta had been thinking about the teapot she spotted on the first day.

And then the weekend was over-way too soon. A good time was had by all.

They headed home and I headed to the couch for a nap.

Comments