Comfort Food 2

It is still cold here, but there is a promise of warmer temperatures for the next few days. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 58F. Friday it is supposed to be 65F. I cannot wait.

I made a big pot of red beans Monday to last me the week. This is a comfort food from my college days.

My usual lunch at the Ole Miss Student Union was a chicken club sandwich. After a few days of ordering, I didn't even have to ask. The ladies would just fix it for me when they saw me coming. On days I couldn't afford the sandwich, it was the red beans. A huge pot of red beans was cooked up daily and a plate cost no more than $1. It may have even been less and the $1 included a piece of sausage. Here's my version of this yummy dish:

RED BEANS AND RICE WITH SAUSAGE
6-8 oz. smoked sausage sliced thinly
2 stalks celery, chopped
half an onion, chopped
1 T butter
2 cans red beans - Do not drain. These are not kidney beans, but they can be substituted if you don't find red beans.
Tabasco sauce - I use 2 quick dashes.
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
salt & pepper
rice

Brown sausage lightly in stock pot and add celery, onion, and butter as it browns. Once celery and onion are translucent, add red beans with liquid to mixture. Season with Tabasco, Lawry's, salt and pepper to taste. You can thin with water if necessary. Cook rice of your choice separately. Serve red beans and sausage over rice and sprinkle with Lawry's before serving. It goes well with the cornbread from my previous post.

Comments