Safer at Home

I have not worked on personal projects much during this season of safer-at-home. Between making masks for family, friends, and neighbors and the working-at-home that I manage, not to mention the regular chores, there hasn't been much time or energy left for indulging in non-essential activities.

A passing YouTube video captured my attention a few weeks ago and I have squeezed in time to piece a new quilt top, something cozy and easy. It's the Easy Carpenter's Star from Missouri Star Quilt Company. 


Another project resurfaced this afternoon.

It's been a few years since I picked up any of my grandfather's war-time letters to transcribe for the digital age. He suffered more than one stroke in his life by the time I was born. Because of the debilitations they brought, I never got to really see his true nature before he passed. These letters reveal his personality as a young man in a time of two major world events - the Great War and the Spanish flu. As I transfer the words from his hand to my keyboard, I am struck by the window I am peering through - to another time and place, to family on the threshold of the unknown, to a connection more than a century old. Born in 1889, he is a dentist, graduated from Vanderbilt in May 1914. My house was built in 1914.


The letters are out of sequence in my shoebox, so I have previously gotten to Armistice Day before he even arrives for basic training at Camp Pike in Arkansas. I started again today with a group of envelopes from the Fall of 1917.


To see from his own letters, much less from history, what he does not yet know as he writes about the mundane aspects of settling into camp life is like reading a book whose ending is already known. His reports about vaccinations (for typhoid) and quarantine sound all too familiar. He talks about seeing friends from home and Saturdays on the town in Little Rock.


As I work my way through these letters, what will I find in common with this man, this man who was gone before I was old enough to really engage? How much of myself will I see?

Comments

Julia Wood said…
Glad to see you back in the blog-world! -Judy