Dear Mr. Woods -

I just want you to know how much I appreciate your considerable efforts to return my purse to me. It was stolen from me at Wal-Mart two weeks ago and I felt so stupid for having turned my back on it even for just a few seconds. I was mostly upset that night because my dog was in the car and I was afraid someone might drive off with her. But thankfully that did not happen.

The stolen credit cards, driver’s license, phone, and checks have all been replaced. I have changed the locks on my house and had my car ignition reprogrammed. While time consuming and costly, it was not that difficult to do.

Often it is the loss of the little things, the more personal things, that make us feel most violated: the little pocket knife given to me by my mother who is no longer with us, my one-of-a-kind key chain, a favorite wallet that suited my needs perfectly. You have allowed these things to come back to me.

The return of all of my keys reassures me that no one will be taking my car in the middle of the night or be coming to my house when I’m away.

The return of my Social Security card (that I didn’t even know was in the purse and made me both horrified and relieved to see was still there) gives me hope that my identity is intact and safe.

The return of my jump drive that had work files on it relieves any anxiety that I am missing important information.

Having these things in my possession again has restored some peace of mind and for that I am grateful. You are an honorable man, sir. May God abundantly bless you because of your kindness.


Mr. Woods retrieved my purse from the side of the highway today while picking up cans. He found my business card inside and called my work. He then drove my purse to the police station for me to pick up later in the day.


Comments

Heather said…
Wow. That has just officially made my day.

I'm sure it more than made yours!
Unknown said…
That's scary! You are the 2nd friend of mine who has had her purse stolen in a WalMart. I have a little purse that I wear across my chest now when I go shopping. Too many crazies out there these days. Pray you are doing well aside from this episode.

Blessings!
Golden
Just lets you know there are still good people in this world.....
Sherry said…
Mr. Woods is a wonderful person. Now, please, make sure your SS card is in a locked safe or somewhere else secure.

It is scary that these things are happening so much more often nowadays.

Hoping you have better days ahead!
DaisyChain said…
Confirmation that there are still decent people in the world. Glad you got the important stuff back. x
Francie said…
So glad for the Mr. Woods' of the world... there just aren't enough of them! Recently, I stopped carrying a purse and started wearing "cargo" pants - the kind with all the pockets that button or close with velcro. Now I can tote the important stuff, and am learning to do without the extra junk I once thought was so necessary to lug around in the purse! xox
sibi said…
Very few people take their time off to do such nice things. Glad that you got your purse back and also found a good friend! Well written!
Same thing happened to my daughter at Irondale Walmart A few months back. A biker found her purse on the side of hwy 78 east near Leeds and called her. Everything was in it except a few dollars in cash that she had. Even her Blackberry phone was still there. Glad you got your stuff back.